Warmer weather typically leads to more road trips, increasing the number of vehicles on the road. This steady surge in car traffic necessitates the need for auto insurance, especially for new drivers. Finding the best car insurance for teens can be daunting. Here are the important things you should know.
What Types of Policies Are Available for Auto Insurance for Teens
Before choosing a car insurance policy, it is helpful to know the available options. The different types of insurance policies include:
- Liability: Covers costs incurred from property damage or injury to another person from an accident that you caused
- Collision: Covers costs incurred from damage to your vehicle from a collision caused by another person
- Comprehensive: Covers all costs to repair or replace your vehicle from any type of accident
- Gap: Covers costs when your auto loan costs more than depreciated value of your vehicle
- Personal injury protection: Covers medicals costs from an accident, no matter who is responsible
- Uninsured and underinsured: Helps cover costs from an accident with an at-fault driver who does not have car insurance or whose insurance does not cover medical costs for other motorists.
How To Find the Best Policy for Car Insurance for Teens
Before you settle on a policy, it is recommended to do the following:
- Educate yourself: Determine the coverage type you will need. The majority of states require liability auto insurance for teens as a minimum requirement. To protect your teen, a comprehensive policy is recommended.
- Compare quotes: Shopping around for various companies is recommended. A reputable independent insurance agent or online auto insurance sites are excellent jumping-off points to compare policy quotes.
- Gather information: You will need certain info when applying for car insurance for teens, including driver’s license number, birth date, garage address, vehicle identification number, report card grades for your teen, and records of a legitimate safe driving course.
What Discounts Are Available for Teen Auto Insurance?
Insurance companies may not advertise the discounts they offer. Inquire about the following discounts:
- Multi-policy: If you opt to bundle multiple insurance policies, you may qualify for a hefty cost reduction.
- Bundling car and home insurance may give you a considerable discount.
- Multi-car: Some companies offer a discount if you insure more than one vehicle in a policy.
- Vehicle safety: If your current vehicle is equipped with safety additions, such as daytime lights or anti-lock brakes, you could qualify for a cheaper policy.
- Anti-theft device: If your vehicle is equipped with a proper anti-theft system, you may be eligible for a discount of up to 25%.
- Good student discount: If your teen maintains a report card average of B or higher, he or she may be eligible for a discount of up to 25%.
Where Can You Find the Best Car Insurance for Teens?
While you can do the legwork for finding the best policy for your teen, there is an easier way. At Peart Insurance, our team of genuine insurance agents can find the best auto insurance for your teen to keep you at ease. Contact us today for insurance quotes.